Hi, love your site. I was hoping that you could give me ideas for a closet that speaks chic but really an OC underneath. 🙂 Thanks!- Ms. K
Hi Ms. K!
Nice to hear from you. Oh closets, every woman’s passion and frustration. We all need closets that give us inspiration everytime their doors are opened. Ones that are built and arranged in a manner that’ll make getting dressed in the morning simpler and a lot more fun. We DIE for Jenna Lyons’ and Aerin Lauder’s and would literally trade closets with them in a heartbeat.
We find that the chicest closets are also the most organized. Everything has it’s place, and each space is well thought of and maximized.
Aerin Lauder’s Closet. Photo: www.lunchatsaks.blogspot.com
Jenna Lyons’ closet/dressing room. Photo: www.jcrewaficionada.blogspot.com
We visited our favorite websites and blogs to give you the best closet organizing/decorating tips and tricks. Check them out:
1) Remove everything in your closet and take inventory of what you have. Sort out your stuff into 3 piles— Keep, Toss, Donate/Sell. Next separate remaining items (keep) into categories to help you organize them in the best way possible.
2) Now that you know what you have, assess the amount of space that you need. Maximize your area by adding more rods or hanging hooks for your bags, accessories, etc.
3) Compartmentalize. Add dividers to your drawers to help you see what you have. We found some drawer organizers at Saizen!
3) Arrange items by category and color. You can also edit further by placing items in heavy rotation in the most accesible part of your closet and seasonal items out of sight.
Now that you’re done organizing, it’s time to add some personality to your closet!
4) Treat your closet as you would any room. Paint the background or add wall paper. Line the drawers and shelves. Make it look pretty, you see it everyday.
5) Add personal touches such as busts to hang your necklaces in, framed photos, a chandelier (space permitting) and fresh flowers. Your closet, just like any other area of your home is an extension of yourself.
That’s it! 5 simple steps to achieve your dream closet!
Do let us know how yours turns out!